Call for Applications: Development of Advocacy Strategy on the UPR
- By: Mona Katoub
- updated: October 18, 2021
Services: Development of Advocacy Strategy on the UPR.
Duration: October 2021- December 2021
The Universal Periodic Review (hereinafter UPR) is the UNHRC’s mechanism of periodically examining and monitoring the adherence to human rights of the 193 member states of the United Nations. The evaluation of a state’s human rights performance is done by the 47 member states of the Human Rights Council with a 4-year cycle review. Syria’s last UPR took place in 2016, with the newest review taking place in November 2021. In the months ahead of the UPR sessions taking place among the member states of the Human Rights Council, NGOs working in the civil society of the reviewed state have the opportunity to submit documentations of human rights violations, recommendations as well as other inputs in regard to their experiences on the ground and give consultations to the member states, in order to allow a holistic and overall encompassing narrative of the human rights situation of the reviewed state. Following the significant changes of the Syrian conflict in its geographical dimension as well as the impact it had on Syrian civil society and their work on documenting human rights violations by the Syrian government and other actors, in the past four years, non-governmental actors are encouraged to provide as much data and documentation as possible.
Over the period of three months from October until December, the Syrian Women’s Political Movement will implement the skills and capacity it has gained during the previous project dedicated to preparing them for the submission of the UPR Report to the OHCHR and the subsequent drafting of the report itself. The report combined SWMP’s knowledge and expertise on the situation of Syrian women still residing within the country as well as UPRInfo’s technical and procedural experience and their feedback, enabling potential advocacy engagements between SWMP and the member states of the Human Rights Council during the pre-sessions ahead of the official UPR session on Syria. The period of three months for the subsequent advocacy is dedicated to the development of the report itself into factsheets and edit the report for publication as well as a respective advocacy strategy addressing permanent missions of the United Nations in Geneva as well as the members of the Human Rights Council involved in the 2021 Universal Periodic Review for the Syria.
Required Qualification and skills:
– University degree, preferably in Communications sciences, Mass Communication, social sciences or an equivalent combination of training and experience;
– A minimum of three years’ work experience in the areas of communication or advocacy projects development/implementation and or coordination, research and analysis, – ideally with a focus on women and feminist areas.
– In-depth knowledge and understanding of the Syrian context.
– Good research, analytical, reporting, presentation and drafting skills; – Ability to analyse and interpret data.
– Extensive work experience and proven record in advocacy, policy, social campaign, strategic management in an international context
– Excellent command of written English
– Demonstrate experience of having undertaken similar assignments – Good communication and facilitation skills
Deliverables and outcomes:
1- draft five factsheets for the purpose of quick on the ground realities of the Syrian women experiencing gender-based violence.
2- highlight these realities and lived experiences amidst tailored letters to international parties in cooperation with the SWPM UPR team.
3- to assist in prioritizing the aforementioned letters to develop country specific questions and reiterate the need for UN support to address human rights issues on the ground.
4- to work closely with the SWPM UPR team and management team to develop the outcomes.
Please share your proposal for the consultancy including your financial offer, planned timeline and strategic summary no later than 28 October 2021 to: email@example.com